News: Go to the front page portal to create a Torchmodders account | Visit the wiki!
November 17, 2017, 11:14:23 PM
collapse

Author Topic: Mod Design Proposal For a Classless Character Mod  (Read 386 times)

Offline Phanjam

• Operator
  • Legendary
  • previous avatar was too serious lol!
    • status ready
    • View Profile
  • Mood: mood angel
Mod Design Proposal For a Classless Character Mod
« on: April 02, 2017, 06:15:23 AM »
Hi @lolesch and all us torchmodders ;) !

I posted this hoping it serves as a small piece of help in moving the "classless character" mod forward.

It's just an outline to suggest how the development work for this concept could be directed, before the work begins (tho I know Lolesch you've put in a lot of work already!), to give us a starting point for debating about and then agreeing the desired outcome.

Also it should give us a good idea of what kind of contributions would be helpful, in case this mod needs to become a team effort.

I hope this helps somehow and sorry for the wall of text!  ;D

Spoiler
Introduction
  • The "classless" forums inside torchmodders (http://torchmodders.com/forums/classless-character-concept-(new)/) are now moderated by Lolesch
  • This write-up is a "fork" from gytfunke's "classless character" concept, to try and outline a development direction for such a  mod to end-up with a working "proof of concept" (POC) custom class that uses the mechanics described here.
Skill System
You are your skills
  • LOTS of passive and active skills (more than a hundred for the full mod)  to choose from so you can become whatever you want
  • To minimize dev work for the POC, just rework existing skills from the vanilla classes
  • Because there will be so many skills, actives will have much less than 15 levels per skill (not more than 5 levels)
  • To prevent getting OP too fast, passives can have more levels
Skills are Stat-driven
Skills, and the levels within each skill, are unlocked by...

1. Having a certain number of points in a certain stat, or combination of stats
2. Having a certain number of skill points invested in the "tree" of the skill you want
  • I believe this is needed to force just a little bit of specialization (rather than just jumping around among the skills to become a jack-of-all-trades).  The number of points required can be set so it's not too high anyway.
  • This means we will end up with many, many skill trees also, which is a UI challenge
So if you are aiming for a certain set of skills you have to invest your stat and skill points accordingly to eventually unlock those skills.

Skill book?
One idea from gytfunke's original concept was to make the player "equip" the skills into a limited number of slots (like spell slots in vanilla tl2). Gytfunke was thinking...
  • You can only equip skills inside a town. So if you die in the wild because you had the wrong skills, you can only change your skill load-out only when you resurrect in town.
  • The idea was to try make multiplayer more fun because players will have to decide who will equip what as a team before they go out to the wild
Personally i like this idea. But to keep initial dev simple, it can be left out at the start

Stats
For dev simplicity, start working with the vanilla TL2 stats. We can keep the vanilla "curves" which each stat uses, or change to use other custom curves
  • Strength
  • Focus
  • Dexterity
  • Vitality
for the full mod, this stats set-up can be modified
  • custom curves
  • totally new stats
Earning stat and skill points
  • for dev simplicity, stat points and skill points can still be earned by increasing your XP and fame
  • are other point-earning mechanics possible? Is this needed/wanted?
The player character
  • for the POC i dont think any changes are needed to the player characters, but that can be revisited as the mod's "personality" stabilizes

I wrote this up in workflowy. I sent you the link-to-edit Lolesch, via PM.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 11:05:28 AM by Phanjam »

Offline doudley

• Cosmic Reality Entanglement Ethereal Probability
  • Rare
  • Its personal...
    • status food
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
  • Mood: mood rolleyes
Re: Mod Design Proposal For a Classless Character Mod
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 09:05:29 AM »
You can only equip skills inside a town. So if you die in the wild because you had the wrong skills, you can only change your skill load-out only when you resurrect in town.
I think I can be able to do the system for this....it will require a constant check of current dungeon name. If the player is in a town's name then the skill tree will be interactive again.

Offline Phanjam

• Operator
  • Legendary
  • previous avatar was too serious lol!
    • status ready
    • View Profile
  • Mood: mood angel
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 11:50:00 AM »
Hi doudley! I was hoping you would post in this thread! :D

I have a question I have always been curious about... Is it possible for the game to "see" a new skilltree, and automatically add it to the overall skill UI?  The same way that it "sees" a new custom class and automatically adds it to the character selection UI.

As for the "overall skill UI", is it possible to make it something like this...

Spoiler

and new skilltrees just keep getting added to the right?

I am thinking this way, making new skills can be done by the community, packaged as their own .MOD but when you load it with the main .MOD, it shows up in the above skill UI as its own tab...
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 11:54:26 AM by Phanjam »

Offline doudley

• Cosmic Reality Entanglement Ethereal Probability
  • Rare
  • Its personal...
    • status food
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
  • Mood: mood rolleyes
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2017, 05:49:06 PM »
 :D Its good then that I commented!

Isn't a skilltree layout (file) is connected per playable character's class? So to answer "If its possible for the game to "see" new/another skilltree", by that sense alone, it would be not. Only one UI can be activated by the game's player but using a single UI with various skilltree layouts (design) inside, then we'll be able to show/hide a certain skilltree by certain conditions.

For the overall skill UI:

I'm not yet been able to use this but I've seen the function of the "Frame" of UI editor, especially used on item and skill descriptions, where as there are rows of window/text/image (layer) inside the frame and if a certain layer has been hidden, the layer below it would be pulled up and make the frame's height lessen.

Explanation in paragraph form:
Spoiler
So, in theory, if a certain skill branch (tab) has shown or hidden, it will make the column of tabs to increase/decrease in width and at the same time add/remove a that particular tab. Initially, we already have all the tabs in-placed in the UI, we'll just hide/show the ones depending on the conditions that we set.

Explanation in visual form:
Spoiler
Lets say we have:

[A] [C] <= Current tabs

Tab "B" has not met the condition we placed, so it would looked like this:

[A] [C]

Then tab "D" has met the condition:

[A] [C] [D]

If all tabs are available, the tabs would looked like this:

[A] [C] [D] [E] |>

then

<| [C] [D] [E] [F] |>

and then

<| [C] [D] [E] [F] [G]

This are just my theory, I'm not sure if "frames" can work horizontally. But based on it, I think it is possible to make the overall skill UI to looked like the one you've shown.

EDIT:
I've been making my own TL2 UI improvements and I noticed that this skill tab action is quite possible with "List Window" :)

EDIT2:
I have confirmed my theory and it works, although it is not the "Frames" but "Reflow Windows" that does the aligning of objects automatically.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 03:27:39 PM by doudley »

Tags:

* Quick Search

* Member Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Mod Boards Activity

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 1
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Calendar

November 2017
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

* Recent Topics

Tag Fix by Zayn Malik
[Today at 08:12:25 PM]

CLASSLESS CHARACTER Proof-of-Concept (POC) Mod by Phanjam
[Today at 01:10:32 PM]

Another Tag/Hash Tool by Phanjam
[Today at 01:05:02 PM]

Torchlight 2 Tag Fixer - TL2TagFixer by Chthon by Chthon
[Today at 12:17:36 PM]

Variant Classes Bug Reports by Viz
[November 12, 2017, 04:51:43 AM]

Variant Classes Mod Information by Viz
[November 12, 2017, 04:40:18 AM]

FEP+ by Phanjam
[November 07, 2017, 03:54:35 PM]

How many treasure can I add after defeating boss? by Zayn Malik
[November 07, 2017, 01:39:11 AM]

Anything you'd like to see changed or added her on TM? by Zayn Malik
[October 30, 2017, 02:15:17 PM]

DAT file syntax highlighter for VS Code by Phanjam
[October 30, 2017, 11:41:00 AM]

How do I edit mods that I download (as in didn't make myself) with TorchED? by AcidDome
[October 29, 2017, 04:28:12 AM]

[HELP] Legit TL1 Unpacker needed by Vkoslak
[October 27, 2017, 05:11:18 PM]

Some Bugs Report and Request Idea by Sch123
[October 27, 2017, 04:46:23 AM]

Skills Expansion: Bugs Report & Ideas by Sch123
[October 22, 2017, 08:06:53 AM]

Hob got released today by Aherin
[October 16, 2017, 05:14:37 AM]

* Popular Topics