News: Go to the front page portal to create a Torchmodders account | Visit the wiki!
August 18, 2018, 06:13:28 PM
collapse

Information

Please contribute to our

Having problems logging in to the forums? Go the front page, log out and back in again.

Author Topic: Item Affix Randomizer (Bound Saves)  (Read 8200 times)

Offline steffire3

• Mod_Seeker, Balance_Researcher, Person_Listener.
  • Rare
  • I am more active on the Steam Workshop Discussions
    • status busy
    • View Profile
  • Mood: mood smiley
Item Affix Randomizer (Bound Saves)
« on: February 12, 2018, 10:32:37 PM »
Idea by *Yuki*:

https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/discussions/18446744073709551615/1699416432423962525/?appid=200710

Quote from: *Yuki*
Recently I got some new idea for fancy mod, but, at the very begining, I wanna ask: does item ID change, if you rebalance vanilla weps?

There is a deal - if you change something in vanilla stuff and then remove such mods - everything on you, that was changed, will be removed. I though about some sort of trick to avoid that - randomizer NPC.
Basically - he will have sort of stash. You put stuff in, press "lock in" button and it remember IDs of items, you put in (since locked, you cant retrieve your stuff back). Then you can press "randomize" button, that will give you items with same IDs, as locked stuff had, but stats will be generated from zero, like if you got another item of same type. So - theoretically, if you used to get rebalanced items with vanilla IDs, locked them in and then disabled mod, which used to alternate stats of your swags - your items wont vanish completely, just get different stats.

What do you think, guys? Will it go, or impossible, with current modding tools?

Quote from: steffire3
However this basically sounds like a Transmuter:

Recipes:

1 Mod Helmet = 1 Vanilla Helmet

Nope, concept is different.

In that case, you save in not whole item, but just its ID, which, if torchlight dont do some weird things with them, should remain same after disabling mod, that alters vanilla items (as so - you can put items into randomizer, lock them in, logout, disable mod, load game back and get items with same IDs from randomizer).

Problem is that I have no idea, if its possible. From what I heard from doudley, you can add some things to your character's savefile (basically thats how settings for different mods save). But what I described is kinda different, since it require you to save item IDs not into your character, but into NPC's pocket (which, I assume, belong to world). So - I have no idea, if it will work.

Descripton:
1. Some custom UI with few slots for items. You put your guns and armor there and can freely get back, until "lock" button is pressed.
2. Lock button. Basically what makes this concept. Once you press it, you cant get stuff from filled slots anymore. Since, technically, this NPC dont even have your items anymore. Instead, when you pressed button, it saved IDs of items, you put inside.
3. Randomize button. Stay inact, until you press lock button. Once everything is locked, you need to press it and in slots, filled before, will appear items with same IDs, as you thrown in. But stats and everything will be generated like if you got them from trader or found somewere (in short - be different)

= = =

My question is how viable is this plan and what issues or limits would have to be worked around?

Can items really be protected this way from bound character mod saves?

I feel this is basically about turning a modded affix into a vanilla one on the same item (save item ID?).
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 10:09:44 PM by steffire3 »
At this point after playing Torchlight 2 for 4 years original and modded... ignorant of mods and now wise with compatibility... the one thing I value the most-

-is being able to have "support" from the author of any mod.

I think the only advice I can give is that you don't burn yourself out. ^_^

Offline Sch123

• 🎮 & 💡
  • Legendary
    • status game
    • View Profile
  • Mood: mood cheesy
Re: Item Affix Randomizer (Bound Saves)
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2018, 08:30:40 PM »
It would be nice if the "Randomize" can be put into the Merchant Shop, so we can buy various items / armor / weapon without having to go in different maps (just to get different items / armor).  ;D

Just by pressing the "Randomize" button then the item / armor / weapon will be "refreshed" with the new one. ;)

Note: Maybe slightly different from the "Randomize" you mean. :)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 01:03:57 PM by Sch123 »

Offline steffire3

• Mod_Seeker, Balance_Researcher, Person_Listener.
  • Rare
  • I am more active on the Steam Workshop Discussions
    • status busy
    • View Profile
  • Mood: mood smiley
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2018, 02:59:06 AM »
It would be nice if the "Randomize" can be put into the Merchant Shop, so we can buy various items / armor / weapon without having to go in different maps (just to get different items / armor).  ;D

Just by pressing the "Randomize" button then the item / armor / weapon will be "refreshed" with the new one. ;)

Note: May be slightly different from the "Randomize" you mean. :)

I think that's an excellent idea @Sch123:o

Hopefully someone in the future will test this concept and once we figure out how to work around the engine's limits we should be able to implement this for Vendors and UI wherever needed!  :)
At this point after playing Torchlight 2 for 4 years original and modded... ignorant of mods and now wise with compatibility... the one thing I value the most-

-is being able to have "support" from the author of any mod.

I think the only advice I can give is that you don't burn yourself out. ^_^

Offline Sch123

• 🎮 & 💡
  • Legendary
    • status game
    • View Profile
  • Mood: mood cheesy
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2018, 04:55:17 AM »
I also hope that way too, because it is quite annoying when we have to back and forth the map so that items in the merchant can change.  :D

Tags:

* Quick Search

* Member Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Mod Boards Activity

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 1
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Calendar

August 2018
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11