News: Go to the front page portal to create a Torchmodders account | Visit the wiki!
November 19, 2017, 06:05:52 PM
collapse

Author Topic: Stats Overhaul for Weapons - LAO III planned changes  (Read 7061 times)

Offline Chthon

• Developer
  • Rare
    • status idle
    • View Profile
  • Mood: mood smiley
Re: Stats Overhaul for Weapons - LAO III planned changes
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2017, 11:23:12 PM »
I thought the only thing needed to get random mods on a unique/legendary was not to have any mods pre-assigned.

Offline RnF

• Rare
    • status idle
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2017, 04:47:05 AM »
You are correct, not sure why I was thinking that.  Now I am curious as to where that idea came from. I don't seem to remember that correctly, it was from some time ago.  Thanks for the correction.

Offline RnF

• Rare
    • status idle
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2017, 04:40:13 AM »
New weapon idea.  Ember Orbs... or something like that.  Basically a reworked wand for Embermages. Having fun with the particle editor :)

Offline Phanjam

• Operator
  • Legendary
  • previous avatar was too serious lol!
    • status ready
    • View Profile
  • Mood: mood angel
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2017, 07:29:59 AM »
That certainly looks good RnF! Nice work!  ;D

Offline Vkoslak

• Rare
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2017, 01:05:03 AM »
That looks pretty cool. I need to mess with the particle stuff one of these days.

Offline RnF

• Rare
    • status idle
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2017, 04:59:34 PM »
That looks pretty cool. I need to mess with the particle stuff one of these days.

@Vkoslak

You should definitely look into it, I am just beginning to realize it's potential.  So much can be done with particles.

I usually just edit existing particles to fit my needs.  Making them from scratch is something even I haven't ventured into yet. Editing existing files is pretty easy once you get familiar with it.

There can be a lot of moving parts though depending on what you want to do, often times skills/missiles have 3 or 4 different interacting particles that make up the one skill.  So editing those is much more time consuming since you have to edit multiple files.

This particular particle for the Ember Orbs is only one file and very easy to edit.  I already have 64 variations created :)  Now the hard part comes, finding and/or creating missiles to match the orb effects...

Offline Phanjam

• Operator
  • Legendary
    • status ready
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2017, 11:42:49 AM »
eyya @RnF u know i think u walk on water and i really love this LAO3 mod... but i gotta give u some negative feedback :P i can never seem to buy anything! my stats are just never enough to meet requirements of what the blacksmith has for sale.

thought it might just be a temporary fluke, but im at level 30 now and i swear, out of 40 merchant slots there will be like only 1 or 2 items whose requirements i meet :'( and this happens every time i go to the weapons/armor merchants, no exaggeration

Offline steffire3

• Mod_Seeker, Balance_Researcher, Person_Listener.
  • Enchanted
  • I am more active on the Steam Workshop Discussions
    • status busy
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2017, 07:21:41 PM »
eyya @RnF u know i think u walk on water and i really love this LAO3 mod... but i gotta give u some negative feedback :P i can never seem to buy anything! my stats are just never enough to meet requirements of what the blacksmith has for sale.

thought it might just be a temporary fluke, but im at level 30 now and i swear, out of 40 merchant slots there will be like only 1 or 2 items whose requirements i meet :'( and this happens every time i go to the weapons/armor merchants, no exaggeration

@Phanjam

Have you bought those Stat Enchanter Summon Scrolls from the General Vendor?

They are basically a form of "Boris" who is used to boost Stats on Gear which will help the Player equip high stat gear.

It was designed that way for balance with Enchanters to make them a necessary part of the game.  :)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 07:33:36 PM by steffire3 »
At this point after playing Torchlight 2 for 3 years original and modded... ignorant of mods and now wise with compatibility... the one thing I value the most-

-is being able to have "support" from the author of any mod.

I think the only advice I can give is that you don't burn yourself out. ^_^

Offline Viz

• Lowkey Modder
  • Rare
    • status idle
    • View Profile
  • Mood: mood rolleyes
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2017, 06:59:06 AM »
The idea of using enchanters to meet gear's stats requirement is fine.
But then you realized, at early games/lower levels, you don't really have enough money to utilize them.. so you're pretty much stucked at using inferior gears for a long time.

Offline RnF

• Rare
    • status idle
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2017, 03:15:35 PM »
I was going to ask the same thing that Steffire3 did.  Enchantments are pretty much necessary to advance to the higher leveled gear.  With Boris specific enchantments, meeting the stat requirements should be attainable.  But it does cost money which is what Viz brings up.

If you play LAO III the same way you do vanilla, you will struggle.  With vanilla there is no penalty for advancing to fast in the game.  And it was too easy for my tastes at the start of the game.  Hence the changes.  It is more difficult no doubt.

It will require a bit of loot farming at lower levels to get enough loot sell to purchase the enchantments.  If you just roll through the content and never repeat any of it, you will lag behind in gear and then start to struggle with obtaining loot and killing monsters.  Run some Mapwork Maps, that is a great way to get loot or cherry pick a boss dungeon and re-roll your game a few times and farm that.

Not saying there isn't some balancing that can be done, because I probably need to balance this aspect of the game out a bit.  But I haven't had too many issues getting gear/enchantments with my lower level characters.  But it is more difficult no doubt.

Offline Phanjam

• Operator
  • Legendary
    • status ready
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2017, 08:29:19 AM »
Hiyya @RnF thanks for the reply/guidance.  I do hear what you're saying and I understand the considerations that went into this design.

I can do some farming/grinding, but that's really not my thing :P .  I actually do have enough money to get me some of those stat-enhancer potions, so I guess i'll do a combination of those 2 approaches.

Thanks v much R! and thanks also to @steffire3 and @Viz for the inputs (steffire3 the depth of your knowledge for this mod is impressive ;) )
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 08:32:29 AM by Phanjam »

Offline RnF

• Rare
    • status idle
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2017, 03:59:07 PM »
Hiyya @RnF thanks for the reply/guidance.  I do hear what you're saying and I understand the considerations that went into this design.

I can do some farming/grinding, but that's really not my thing :P .  I actually do have enough money to get me some of those stat-enhancer potions, so I guess i'll do a combination of those 2 approaches.

Thanks v much R! and thanks also to @steffire3 and @Viz for the inputs (steffire3 the depth of your knowledge for this mod is impressive ;) )

@Phanjam No problem, and no I don't walk on water haha.  The farming/grinding required is fairly minimal, I am not a big fan of that either.  But maybe required from time to time.

If you have an inventory extension mod and pick up pretty much everything you find and sell it, cash should be available for enchantments.  If you have not been enchanting your gear with stat bonuses from Boris Summon Scrolls, you will struggle to find anything to wear at some point due to the high requirements.

Tags:

* Quick Search

* Member Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Mod Boards Activity

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 13
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Calendar

November 2017
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
[19] 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

* Recent Topics

CLASSLESS CHARACTER Proof-of-Concept (POC) Mod by Phanjam
[Today at 01:35:37 PM]

Tag Fix by Zayn Malik
[November 17, 2017, 08:12:25 PM]

Another Tag/Hash Tool by Phanjam
[November 17, 2017, 01:05:02 PM]

Torchlight 2 Tag Fixer - TL2TagFixer by Chthon by Chthon
[November 17, 2017, 12:17:36 PM]

Variant Classes Bug Reports by Viz
[November 12, 2017, 04:51:43 AM]

Variant Classes Mod Information by Viz
[November 12, 2017, 04:40:18 AM]

FEP+ by Phanjam
[November 07, 2017, 03:54:35 PM]

How many treasure can I add after defeating boss? by Zayn Malik
[November 07, 2017, 01:39:11 AM]

Anything you'd like to see changed or added her on TM? by Zayn Malik
[October 30, 2017, 02:15:17 PM]

DAT file syntax highlighter for VS Code by Phanjam
[October 30, 2017, 11:41:00 AM]

How do I edit mods that I download (as in didn't make myself) with TorchED? by AcidDome
[October 29, 2017, 04:28:12 AM]

[HELP] Legit TL1 Unpacker needed by Vkoslak
[October 27, 2017, 05:11:18 PM]

Some Bugs Report and Request Idea by Sch123
[October 27, 2017, 04:46:23 AM]

Skills Expansion: Bugs Report & Ideas by Sch123
[October 22, 2017, 08:06:53 AM]

Hob got released today by Aherin
[October 16, 2017, 05:14:37 AM]

* Popular Topics