News: Go to the front page portal to create a Torchmodders account | Visit the wiki!
May 24, 2019, 08:51:49 PM
collapse

Author Topic: [CONCEPT] "Candied Ember" Mod  (Read 3555 times)

Offline Lord Nyriox

• Rare
    • status bored
    • View Profile
    • Github Profile
  • Mood: mood evil
[CONCEPT] "Candied Ember" Mod
« on: August 28, 2018, 07:29:31 PM »
"Candied Ember" Mod Concept

Inspired by a recent look at my prior crock of idiocy, I posted this concept on a whim earlier, but felt that it deserved its own forum topic.

One of the most irritating things in Torchlight, for me, is how useless gems actually are in-game.  Ember is supposedly the most coveted power source for everything from fancy Alchemy to complicated Engineering—yet in-game, the only thing you can do with dropped Ember is shove it into an item socket. 

My proposal, is to expand the range of practical applications for in-game Ember—by adding a whole lot of Transmutation recipes that use it as an ingredient.

Features
  • Candied Ember:  A set of Potions that look like gems ("Right-click to eat Ember"), these are magical hard candies that function like Elixirs—which is to say, they each add a permanent bonus to a particular Stat.  These are made by mixing 3 Ember with a Rejuvenation Potion.
  • Alchemical Potions:  A set of more conventional Potions, these have a wide range of temporary Effects—from changes in character-size, to Stat changes, to UnitThemes, etc.  Not all Effects will be positive.  These are made by mixing various Potions with various Ember.
  • Enhanced Equipment:  Ember can be used to change Equipment in various ways.  This process is initiated by combining 1-3 Ember with 1 Equipment Item.

Notes
  • Idea #3 is very much pie-in-the-sky right now, because I do not yet know of a reliable way of adding Affixes to existing equipment.  I suppose I could make something that bumps up item quality, however ([Common]–>[Enchanted]–>[Rare]).

What transmutation recipes can you think of, for Ember?  I would love to hear any ideas! 

« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 10:07:02 PM by Lord Nyriox »

Offline Urakka Amyx

• Common
    • View Profile
Re: [CONCEPT] "Candied Ember" Mod
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2018, 09:05:39 PM »
Hmm, I think its a great idea. Im still learning as im doing, so i dont know the mechanics a whole lot. Specificallyt how recipes/enchanter work. Is it possible to make custom ones?

What i mean by that is .. Make recipes only available to certain NPCS.

Offline doudley

• Cosmic Reality Entanglement Ethereal Probability
  • Rare
  • Its personal...
    • status food
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
  • Mood: mood rolleyes
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2018, 12:49:44 AM »
One of the most irritating things in Torchlight, for me, is how useless gems actually are in-game.  Ember is supposedly the most coveted power source for everything from fancy Alchemy to complicated Engineering—yet in game, the only thing you can do with dropped Ember is shove it into an item socket.
I cannot I agree more. But on my understanding of the TL2 story, ember use has consequences. TL1 hero(es) got corrupted, dragons and dwarves went almost into extinction, etc. So if I were to take this concept, I will put ill effects along with great buffs.

@Urakka Amyx Yes, you can make your own recipes and your own enchanter (but they can only vary to socket,  enhance, gem save, & gem break).

Offline Urakka Amyx

• Common
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2018, 01:03:43 AM »

@Urakka Amyx Yes, you can make your own recipes and your own enchanter (but they can only vary to socket,  enhance, gem save, & gem break).

Just to understand, I can make a NPC that only has certain recipes available? as example,

You already have the "Enchanter" that uses the "recipes"

Could you say, make a clone or the Enchanter. We will call him a "Embersmith(blacksmith) and that NPC only have certain recipes available to him and only him. not the vanilla Enchanter? and is it limited to only 4 item recipes?

Offline doudley

• Rare
  • Its personal...
    • status food
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2018, 01:30:32 AM »
Transmuters only have one system. All recipe can be accessed/used by a transmuter/itemcombiner NPC, it cannot be limited as I remember.

Offline Urakka Amyx

• Common
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2018, 02:43:15 AM »
Transmuters only have one system. All recipe can be accessed/used by a transmuter/itemcombiner NPC, it cannot be limited as I remember.

Understood, Thank you

Offline Lord Nyriox

• Rare
    • status bored
    • View Profile
    • Github Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2018, 07:08:58 AM »
on my understanding of the TL2 story, ember use has consequences. TL1 hero(es) got corrupted, dragons and dwarves went almost into extinction, etc.

@doudley, using "tainted" Ember has consequences, but not all Ember is "tainted".

Lore Clarification:
Lore-wise, Ember is a surprisingly complicated concept, but in brief, these gemstones can only provide power if they have been "charged" by an otherworldly source of energy. 

The problem that arises, is that one of the most easily accessible sources of otherworldly energy is the Netherrealm (where the Netherim come from).  Unfortunately, Netherim are capable of inhabiting (or at least influencing) any significant concentration of Nether-type energy—including any Ember that has been charged from it, and, by extension, anything that has ever made use of such "tainted" Ember. 

This phenomenon is commonly referred to as "Ember Blight", during the events of TL2.

What this all means for the mod, is that some types of Ember need to be treated as "tainted" (giving debuffs when used as an ingredient), while the others need to be treated as "clean" (giving weaker buffs but no debuffs).
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 09:49:58 PM by Lord Nyriox »

Offline doudley

• Rare
  • Its personal...
    • status food
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2018, 09:32:52 AM »
 8)

Offline steffire3

• Mod_Seeker, Balance_Researcher, Person_Listener.
  • Rare
  • I am more active on the Steam Workshop Discussions
    • status busy
    • View Profile
  • Mood: mood smiley
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2018, 12:37:34 AM »
on my understanding of the TL2 story, ember use has consequences. TL1 hero(es) got corrupted, dragons and dwarves went almost into extinction, etc.

@doudley, using "tainted" Ember has consequences, but not all Ember is "tainted".

Lore Clarification:
Lore-wise, Ember is a surprisingly complicated concept, but in brief, these gemstones can only provide power if they have been "charged" by an otherworldly source of energy. 

The problem that arises, is that one of the most easily accessible sources of otherworldly energy is the Netherrealm (where the Netherim come from).  Unfortunately, Netherim are capable of inhabiting (or at least influencing) any significant concentration of Nether-type energy—including any Ember that has been charged from it, and, by extension, anything that has ever made use of such "tainted" Ember. 

This phenomenon is commonly referred to as "Ember Blight", during the events of TL2.

What this all means for the mod, is that some types of Ember need to be treated as "tainted" (giving debuffs when used as an ingredient), while the others need to be treated as "clean" (giving weaker buffs but no debuffs).

Take it a step further and @Corley made extended lore in TL2-E that allows Embers to be cleansed from it's corruption and even use corrupted Embers to cancel other corrupted Embers... Fun stuff actually.  :D

If any of you have played and know Metroid Prime Lore then the pirates would ingest the equivalent of corrupted Embers only to become defective after a temporary time of greater power... eventually they developed suits to harness the power in a somewhat more stable way similar to the Dark Alchemist.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 12:40:50 AM by steffire3 »
At this point after playing Torchlight 2 for 5 years original and modded... ignorant of mods and now wise with compatibility... the one thing I value the most-

-is being able to have "support" from the author of any mod.

I think the only advice I can give is that you don't burn yourself out. ^_^

Offline Lord Nyriox

• Rare
    • status bored
    • View Profile
    • Github Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2018, 04:13:12 AM »
@Corley made extended lore in TL2-E that allows Embers to be cleansed from it's corruption

That part is effectively official lore.  Ember can apparently "burn out" after extended usage—losing its magical energy, in much the same way as a battery loses its electrical energy.

This analogy is further compounded by the results of the Tarroch's Rift study—in which a piece of "burned out" Ember is successfully "recharged".

All that would need to be done (in official lore) to remove corruption from Ember, would be to build some kind of "rapid discharge" device, with a condensed Nether-energy containment system. 

From there, you could industrialize the process demonstrated in the Tarroch's Rift study, by installing "mana pipelines" linked to known significant sources of "clean mana". 

This just gave me an idea:  An Ember-powered Industrial Revolution!

Offline doudley

• Rare
  • Its personal...
    • status food
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2018, 05:44:18 AM »
An Ember-powered Industrial Revolution!
This is actually my TL3 pitch as discussed with @steffire3 , and my antagonist would be an extreme enviromentalist. :D

Offline Lord Nyriox

• Rare
    • status bored
    • View Profile
    • Github Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2018, 06:41:46 AM »
This is actually my TL3 pitch as discussed with @steffire3, and my antagonist would be an extreme enviromentalist. :D

I was thinking something more along the lines of a "total conversion" mod for TL2, that reworks the vanilla dungeons, environments, and sidequests (which are currently somewhat boring).

I would put @Kva3imoda-style machinery in every major magical landmark, siphoning off excess magic.  Quests like "One Man's Trash", would be altered to reflect this change. 

There would be a resurgence of clockwork automata, taking the place of organic merchants (with an accompanying increase in prices, because they are "bots").  Of course, that leaves most of the honest craftsmen out of business, leading to an increase in the population of desperate highwaymen. 

You would have "toxic waste dumps", where the condensed Nether energy (i.e. "Ember Blight") from "Ember refineries" gets dropped off (near Netherrealm portals, obviously), full of twisted ecology and strange geology. 

You would have caged dragons and elementals, their life-force drained for some of the more "exotic" fuels.  There would probably be Blight-powered superweapons, and Ember-powered vehicles.  Professional Alchemists formulating designer fuels, with equally professional Engineers as their customers.  Advanced Ember-Tech medicine providing ultra-expensive "cures", while automated vending machines dispense the more "traditional" potions.

And then, of course, there will always be the nutcases who try to tinker with the Clockwork Core itself. 

Given all this craziness around you, the Dark Alchemist's (relatively restrained) attack on the Guardians becomes a whole lot less "urgent". 

EDIT:  A possible name for this proposed mod would be "Ember and Tongs". 
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 04:04:28 PM by Lord Nyriox »

Offline Sch123

• 🎮 & 💡
  • Legendary
    • status game
    • View Profile
  • Mood: mood cheesy
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2018, 07:25:26 AM »
I have an idea for "Alchemical Potions", what if you make "Magic Bomb". I mean besides making potions that can be consumed, maybe you can also make items that can be used to attack enemies.

Magic Bomb is used on enemies by throwing it. Effects of Magic Bomb is giving negative elemental magic buff to enemy. The element buff effect depends on the gems we used.

Recipes for Magic Bomb:

1 MP potion + 3 same gems

* The higher the MP potion level, the longer the buff duration
* The higher the level of Gems the stronger the Magic Attack

For example, if you combine MP Potion level 1 + 3 Ice Gems level 1, it will produce magic ice bombs. When you attack by throwing this magic bomb at the enemy, the area around the hatch will explode and the enemies around it will be damaged by Froze Bite (Buff: Slowed and Ice Damage HP reduced 5 second)

Offline Lord Nyriox

• Rare
    • status bored
    • View Profile
    • Github Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2018, 03:42:35 PM »
I have an idea for "Alchemical Potions", what if you make "Magic Bomb". I mean besides making potions that can be consumed, maybe you can also make items that can be used to attack enemies.

That should be simple enough to implement.  Several vanilla Scrolls already use the "CAST SKILL" Effect, so it would not be unreasonable to make a Potion do the same.

I would probably need some help finding an appropriate "throwing a bottle" Skill, however.

Offline Sch123

• 🎮 & 💡
  • Legendary
    • status game
    • View Profile
  • Mood: mood cheesy
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2018, 04:13:25 PM »
Hmm... Maybe you can use the skills that are on Assassin & Dread Pirate classes from Variant Class Mod.

Skill Assassin:

- Choking Bomb
- Confusion
- Molotov Cocktail

Skill Dread Pirate:

- Flare Grenade

* I recommend the skills in the Assassin Class especially skill Choking Bomb & Confusion. The reason for this is that the animation of the bomb throw looks like the theme "Magic Bomb". It looks like throwing an Elemental Orb, and there is a sound effect when the Orb hits the ground and breaks, sounding like broken glass. :)

Tags:

* Quick Search

* Member Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Mod Boards Activity

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 8
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Calendar

May 2019
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11