News: Go to the front page portal to create a Torchmodders account | Visit the wiki!
December 14, 2018, 11:52:41 AM
collapse

Information

Please contribute to our

Having problems logging in to the forums? Go the front page, log out and back in again.

Author Topic: Questions about basic engine functionalities (e.g. Is this possible?)  (Read 443 times)

Offline Heathen

• Common
    • View Profile
I've been developing a mod for around 8-9 months now, and have around 500 hours of experience reverse engineering a basic understanding of Skill Design.

I'm heavily inspired by games like Path of Exile, Diablo 2 (And the MedianXL mod for it), and considering i'm not using the standard formula for Class Building, there are certain functions within those games that are analogous to what I want to develop. Considering i'm self taught, i've not been able to find particular functionalities that i'm interested in using.

I would be interested in knowing if the following is possible (a simple yes/ no will suffice, but elaboration and explanation is definitely welcome and appreciated);

• Can I make certain skills within the skill tree disable others? So both skills cannot be invested into?
  • Can I make specific Unique Items affect the way certain skills work? For instance, an Item that would make a Fireball skill launch 3 Fireballs instead of 1?
  • Can I make Skills on the Skill Tree Synergize (grant other bonuses) to other skills in the way Diablo 2 does?

Thanks in advance.

Offline Viz

• Lowkey Modder
  • Unique
    • status sleep
    • View Profile
  • Mood: mood undecided
Re: Questions about basic engine functionalities (e.g. Is this possible?)
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2018, 01:17:12 PM »
Welcome to TorchModders, Heathen  :)

I'll try to answer your questions.

1) Probably not possible. Instead you can make it this way e.g if skill A is active, skill B cannot be activated. Both skills can still be invested though.
2) No idea.
3) Yes.. to an extent. iirc this class tried similar concept https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=151734627 

Offline DeeZire

• Enchanted
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2018, 09:20:13 PM »
With 1, the thing that springs to mind is do it in the UI, if player has skill A then grey out and disable skill B.

Offline Heathen

• Common
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2018, 10:56:49 PM »
Thanks for the Weclome, Viz, and to both of you for the replies. Yeah Viz, i've discovered ways to disable certain skills, and that's the current method i'm using, but I feel it's better from a design standpoint to remove the ability to invest at all. I'll check out that mod, and see if it can shed some insight into my third question.

DeeZire, I have looked around in the UI to try and accomplish this a while back, and didn't see any obvious functionality for this. Can you give me a quick idea of where to look? If that's too much to write, can you confirm it is indeed possible? I can spend some more time around the UI to see if I can figure it out.

Offline DeeZire

• Enchanted
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2018, 12:25:52 PM »
I had a small thing I as working on some time back but haven't touched it since, it worked on a similar principle as I wanted selected 'skills' in a menu to be mutually exclusive, some depended on the player having other certain skills etc I'll see if I can find it and post it here. All I recall right now is that selecting a skill set a stat (boolean) and I enabled/disabled the UI element for each skill based on the values of the stat for each skill.

If anyone on the Discord can help you track down the BETA files for Torchlight 2, they might help as they had the original skill tree UIs in them which are pretty close to what you're trying to achieve.

All I have to hand right now is a screenie I posted somewhere that showed where I was trying to go with this, each green circle here was to represent a skill, you couldn't choose certain ones until you had made the connection between them by filling other slots;-

Offline Phanjam

• Operator
  • Legendary
    • status ready
    • View Profile
  • Mood: mood angel
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2018, 09:34:01 AM »
Hi @Heathen welcome to the forums!

I would agree with Deezire. What you want in no. 1 is doable from the UI for skills. A very quick description would be

1. Skill A sets a stat to some value
2. Skill UI sees that and "hides" the investment button for skill B

Pretty sure theres a post in the Classless Character mod thread that describes how it does that. Im also very happy to walk u through more details.

Edit: i checked but theres no descriptive post :( so i'll update that thread with a short tut on the stats thing.

Edit 2: Okay ive updated the Classless thread with a discussion of the SKill Unlocking Mechanism.  Hope you find it helpful ;)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 02:30:19 PM by Phanjam »

Offline Heathen

• Common
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2018, 10:36:49 PM »
Thank you both for such a very descriptive response. I've read through the updated thread, but it may take another careful re-read to understand, I'm pretty sure i've got some undiagnosed learning disabilities haha. I am pretty happy that this is possible though, it was integral to what i'm trying to accomplish.

I find these tools to be a bit harder to use than the Grim Dawn tools of which i'm much more familiar with, but there's definitely more functionality to be found here.

Offline Phanjam

• Operator
  • Legendary
    • status ready
    • View Profile
  • Mood: mood angel
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2018, 01:21:24 PM »
Hey Heathen! If u want to dive deeper into details just ask away, i'm happy to share. GUTS is the actual tool used to build the game so it is very powerful. The learnng curve can be steep but if u stick with it, it can be very rewarding ;)

Tags:

* Quick Search

* Member Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Mod Boards Activity

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 16
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Calendar

December 2018
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31

No calendar events were found.

* Recent Topics

[CONCEPT] "Candied Ember" Mod by Lord Nyriox
[December 13, 2018, 05:26:38 PM]

TL1CP Bug Report by Sch123
[December 13, 2018, 04:35:48 AM]

Variant Classes Mod Information by Sch123
[December 12, 2018, 05:37:11 AM]

TL1CP passives by Anarch16sync
[December 10, 2018, 09:49:03 PM]

Stat affecting duration instead of chance by Phanjam
[December 08, 2018, 07:21:27 AM]

Pet Variants Mod by Sch123
[December 06, 2018, 10:09:29 PM]

Skills Expansion: Bugs Report & Ideas by doudley
[December 06, 2018, 03:45:49 AM]

Classless Character Mod by Phanjam
[December 02, 2018, 01:53:21 PM]

Questions about basic engine functionalities (e.g. Is this possible?) by Phanjam
[December 02, 2018, 01:21:24 PM]

The Classless Character Mod by Phanjam
[December 01, 2018, 01:03:09 PM]

Change Healing Potion heal amount by doudley
[November 23, 2018, 12:39:09 AM]

Equipping Weapon *Visual* to Pet? by Phiengley
[November 17, 2018, 07:03:40 AM]

Hello! by Phanjam
[November 10, 2018, 03:57:42 AM]

(Solved)Help Editing Vanilla Class (adding / taking out other vanilla Skills) by Lrv
[November 07, 2018, 05:05:55 PM]

[TL2] Ultimate Respec Lite by doudley
[November 04, 2018, 08:17:27 AM]

* Popular Topics