News: Go to the front page portal to create a Torchmodders account | Visit the wiki!
June 25, 2019, 08:26:45 AM
collapse

Author Topic: TL1CP Update 4 - A new baseline (I hope)  (Read 261 times)

Offline Anarch16sync

• The Ripper
  • Legendary
  • Back on track
    • status study
    • View Profile
  • Mood: mood huh
TL1CP Update 4 - A new baseline (I hope)
« on: April 04, 2019, 07:04:56 PM »
Hi Guys, so while @Phanjam took a rest from modding I took upon myself to keep working on the TL1CP, I didn't touch any balance or skill mechanics for now but instead concentrated on bugfix, compatibility and clean up of the mod, and some art.

In Discord @Phanjam said that wanted to help me with the clean up, so I decided to post the new files here and a detailed change list of what I had done with the mod and what my final plans were.

Changes:

-Unified the animation files for the 3 classes, now there is one .mesh and one .animation file shared by the 3 classes. I did this to fix an animation bug on multiplayer where some animation wouldn't dysplay right for someone else. After doing it all I think the actual issue was a lot of unused definitions and some bad ones on the original animation files.

-Deleted a lot of unused files (left over skills, affixes, etc.)

-Rename some files for compatibility, basically files that were edited versions of vanilla files now have a new name to avoid overwriting vanilla files that may be used in game or in another mod.

-Added a new dual welding animation for the ricochet skill for the vanquisher. Added a hide weapons line on Hamstring and added dual swords in the particles.

- Edited all the skill icons, porting all the TL1 icons for their corresponding skills and adding new ones to the new skills that give a more uniform look in the icons skills. This now are on 3 new imagesets with uniques names. Also included the editable .xfc file for gimp so it's easier to make future edits to skill icons. You can see the difference Here

And so, here are the files for the base of TL1CP update 4, this are not intented to be merged with previous version. The old version should be backed up and then use this as a new base for future versions.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1n4nBMwee6iIfyJ9r9Jqu_eGEMopExwZP/view?usp=sharing

General Plans:

- Finish the clean up of files. This means check for unused files or unedited copies of vanilla files and delete them. Check for edited versions of vanilla files and then rename and correct all their uses. I used winmerge for this, making a comparative search between the TL2 media folder and the TL1CP media folder.

- Finish all the stuff I said I was going to do at some point (armorsets, Faces, Hairstyles,, etc)  :'(

- Make new animations for some skills, we have a bunch of skill using generic animations like special_absorb or the vanquisher using Howl for the stance skills and the like. And some new select screen animations.

Specific plans:

- Balance the Destroyer. It seems the destroyer has mana issues, with skills consuming to much mana for a class that is not really "Focus" oriented since its more of the warrior archetype.
Some ideas I had planned for this: Rebalance slash attack, shadow armor and both auras. I will give more details about my ideas for this later.

- Add some more particles to skills: the Destroyer's ancestral reach need a particle that fires when its cast that gives some idea of it's range. (like a hand or ghost that advance and expands in the damage shape cone even if nothing is in range). The alchemist emberphase also needs some extra particle that marks the damage area when you teleport (just a green circle on the floor or something like that.) Also there seems to be a broken particle effect on the vanquisher's shock trap that I haven't looked into.

Offline Phanjam

• Operator
  • Legendary
    • status ready
    • View Profile
  • Mood: mood angel
Re: TL1CP Update 4 - A new baseline (I hope)
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2019, 08:02:34 AM »
Hey @Anarch16sync would you have a preference for what to prioritize? ;)

Offline Anarch16sync

• The Ripper
  • Legendary
  • Back on track
    • status study
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2019, 11:38:52 AM »
Well, you can help in any part that you want  :D, personally I'm priorizing the clean up of the mod files, is not fancy and boring grunt work with no real impact on the mod users, but keeping everything under the hood clean and organiced makes it easier to come back to work on the mod or find bugs. That's why when I got bored of that I would do some of the other stuff like icons or animations.

What do you thing of the icon edits?

Offline Phanjam

• Operator
  • Legendary
    • status ready
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2019, 01:15:55 PM »
What do you thing of the icon edits?

I like them, nice work! Definitely more unified now :)

Offline Phanjam

• Operator
  • Legendary
    • status ready
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2019, 01:39:36 PM »
I moved this whole topic into its own sub-forum (TL1CP 2019 Baselining).

I also made a "work-tracker" topic thread, like what we used to have in the previous work sprints (TL1CP 2019 Baselining Work List).

EDIT

I was looking at the list for a long time :P and i think i can do some of the Destro skill re-works.

Did you have specific things to change already per-skill @Anarch16sync ?  Maybe I can start some of them already...
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 01:45:43 PM by Phanjam »

Offline Sch123

• 🎮 & 💡
  • Legendary
    • status game
    • View Profile
  • Mood: mood cheesy
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2019, 02:38:19 PM »
Hi @Phanjam , @Anarch16sync

Please also add fixing existing bugs, you can see more here "TL1CP Bug Report". ;)

Offline Anarch16sync

• The Ripper
  • Legendary
  • Back on track
    • status study
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2019, 04:03:22 PM »

I was looking at the list for a long time :P and i think i can do some of the Destro skill re-works.

Did you have specific things to change already per-skill @Anarch16sync ?  Maybe I can start some of them already...

Well, for Slash attack the first thing would be to change the mana cost graph from normal to spammable_to_normal. Then I would like to propouse a change to the tier 1 bonus to have a better interacction with the tier 2 and 3. Instead of the bleed DoT, change it to a trigger on death effect. For example, 5 seconds trigger to cast a blood splash on death that 100% blind foes for 2 sec or something like that. And last ajust the % for Tier 2 to 50% HP and tier 3 to 25% HP. The tier 2 ajustment is to have it be more useful and see it trigger more, with 7% right now it mostly doesn't matter that you do 2x damage since most enemies would die anyway at that HP%. And the Tier 3 is to make the investment reward be worthwhile, since you would be getting it around level 94 when the game is mostly a one-shot fest.

For shadow armor I was planning on bringing it more it's original state in TL1, so give it a dynamic effect: %block chance bonus if you have a shield equipped and a %dodge chance bonus when you don't have a shield equipped, and change the knockback resistance on tier 2 and 3 to a slow resistance, so then you have slow and inmobilice, instead of knockback and inmobilize.

And for the auras just lower the reversed mana cost, as they are right know if you use an aura you pretty much can't use any other skill more than once.

What do you think of this ideas?

Offline TwinkleToes

• Developer
  • Legendary
    • status idle
    • View Profile
  • Mood: mood smiley
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2019, 09:24:24 AM »
eyyy long time no see anarch
im in on anything if ya need me :D

i actually want to finish all the alch skills in the minion/pet tree and give blighted effects to all the spells in the 1st tree, also give some juicy particles for the ones i haven't yet touched.

the new animations sound hype too.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 09:33:20 AM by TwinkleToes »

Offline Anarch16sync

• The Ripper
  • Legendary
  • Back on track
    • status study
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2019, 07:04:10 PM »
eyyy long time no see anarch
im in on anything if ya need me :D

i actually want to finish all the alch skills in the minion/pet tree and give blighted effects to all the spells in the 1st tree, also give some juicy particles for the ones i haven't yet touched.

Yo' @TwinkleToes our particle master, well you're just the guy we need then. You can work your way on the Alchemist if you want, Phanjam is working on the Destroyer, so I will continue my clean up and bug squash primarly on the Vanquisher. I think we are all set up now  8)

Offline Phanjam

• Operator
  • Legendary
    • status ready
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2019, 01:26:30 AM »

the new animations sound hype too.
Hi @TwinkleToes ! Yes YES to everything you said! :D

I also wanted to ask u about Anarch's idea for a "range" particle for the destro pull skill, which i'll ask in the destro thread instead :)

Offline TwinkleToes

• Developer
  • Legendary
    • status idle
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2019, 03:52:26 AM »
nice :D

@Anarch16sync
thanks for doing maintanace on the mod, cleaning up files and squashing bugs are probably the most annoying things to do when modding lol

Offline steffire3

• Mod_Seeker, Balance_Researcher, Person_Listener.
  • Rare
  • I am more active on the Steam Workshop Discussions
    • status busy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2019, 04:34:44 AM »
@Anarch16sync So does this mean that we could see a kind of forking with different file versions of the TL1CP mod? Would be interesting to see TL1CP receive some updates in whichever form it takes. Thanks for your efforts!  :)
At this point after playing Torchlight 2 for 5 years original and modded... ignorant of mods and now wise with compatibility... the one thing I value the most-

-is being able to have "support" from the author of any mod.

I think the only advice I can give is that you don't burn yourself out. ^_^

Offline Anarch16sync

• The Ripper
  • Legendary
  • Back on track
    • status study
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2019, 03:25:53 PM »
 Hi @steffire3 well, at least for mi part there is no plan for forking updates, I was explicit in that this is not supposed to merge with the previous versions because of the file deletion, it doesn't make sense to go and delete all unused files in a new version if you then just copy/paste the files over the previous version that still has the unused files.
 So my idea is that @Phanjam still handles the publication of the mod to keep the same workshop page and mod id.

Even then avoiding people making their personal version of the mod is impossible since anyone can unpack the mod, edit it and pack it as another version of the mod. ::)

Tags:

* Quick Search

* Member Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Mod Boards Activity

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 4
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Calendar

June 2019
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15