News: Go to the front page portal to create a Torchmodders account | Visit the wiki!
January 28, 2020, 10:29:54 AM
collapse

Information

Please contribute to our

Having problems logging in to the forums? Go the front page, log out and back in again.

Author Topic: Playtest Notes & Discussion [8/27/14]  (Read 1204 times)

Offline Slacker

• Code Monkey
  • Developer
  • Common
  • Talk to me, baby.
    • status work
    • View Profile
    • Slacker's Dive
  • Mood: mood cool
Playtest Notes & Discussion [8/27/14]
« on: August 28, 2014, 12:02:18 AM »
Okay, so that was incredibly fun and sort of productive, but let's get down to bidness.

Gear
+ Remove all restrictions on class weapons
+ Create gear with no variation in stats for each class [e.g 200 armor for every Hexhunter chest piece instead of a range from 190 to 210; every axe does 210 dps]
+ Add specialized affects to support builds [e.g +50 Strength +10% Chance to Dual-strike]
+ Potion dispensers will be used instead of the General Goods Merchant for Delixirs and health/mana potions.
+ Introduce gems to the General Goods Merchant that greatly affect stats

Skills
Hexhunter
+ Add an immobilize to Bleed N' Burn and increase its cost/recharge
Nightshade
+ Remove Stun from Ambush
Spellblade
+ Increase recharges and mana costs for most skills, or decrease damage
+ Increase damage of Cyclone
Stormborn
+ Decrease damage of Shieldbash
+ Give greater incentive to invest skill points/greater jumps in between tiers
+ Increase AoE of Thundercall

Maps
+ Continue progress on Dusty
+ Create a map from the Clockwork boss room (perhaps other boss rooms as well?)

Okay, now for some personal thoughts.

After we've created a relatively balanced version, complete with the gear and the whole shabang, we should start working on the more crazy side of things. Stuff like crazy procs that shoot fireballs, cause absurd knockback, etc. That way we have a base to start from.

Second, the general idea of armor ratings and damage:
Stormborn
500 Armor between all pieces
Nightshade / Hexhunter
400 Armor between all pieces
Spellblade
340 Armor between all pieces

Weaponry
Melee
Single-handed: 200 dps
Two-handed: 300dps
Ranged
Single-handed: 160dps
Two-handed: 210dps

Skill damage and balance:
NOTE
+ HP pools are about 1100
+ Mana pools vary slightly, ~70 @ 5 focus and ~120 @ 85

Big Costly Skills
Things like Bleed N' Burn on the Hexhunter and Stormswipe on the Stormborn should cost a lot and do a lot.

A rough metric might be 1 mana = 10 damage @ melee and 1 mana = 6 damage @ range.

Stuns & Immobilization
NOTE
+ Stun disables skills but allows movement
+ Immobilize disables movement but allows skills
1 second of stun = 2 seconds cooldown.
So a 3 second stun takes 6 seconds to recharge, which I feel is pretty fair, considering the massive damage that can be done in 3 seconds.
1 second of immobilize = 3 seconds cooldown + a high mana cost.
Immobilization is extremely strong when taking into account combos, so imo it should be more costly than a Stun.

Unique Defensive Skills
An active block for the Stormborn. A teleport for the Nightshade. A hex swap [swap places with the target] for the Hexhunter. A huge mana knockback for the Spellblade.
These should be granted at the start and have no greater tiers. Perhaps placed in a separate tree. No damage dealt by these skills. The cooldown should be 5 seconds for each.

That about covers it for now. Let me know what you think. :)

Offline Wolven

• Operator
  • Unique
    • status mod
    • View Profile
  • Mood: mood smiley
Re: Playtest Notes & Discussion [8/27/14]
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 12:07:18 PM »
Great stuff Slacker. I'll be reading over this a few times before I reply on your points. Thanks for keeping notes, I'll be back with more incentive once my mind has clear up a bit. 
;)

Some additional thoughts of my own:

As it is now, no skills can be silenced or interrupted, but I want to look at adding it to the game, so existing and/or future classes can have skills which can silence or interrupt foes' skills.

I noticed when playing 1 on 1 that the charge bar seldom got the chance to get filled, except for our long fights when we spammed heal pots. I think charge must be generated faster to be of any real use. We also need to look at the passives which are triggered when charge is at 100%, they probably need a tweak or a total rethink.

Should we tone down the speed a tad or do you think it was fine like it is? I'd like to keep the speed of the game somewhat high, but maybe we should take it down a notch. IDK...

We also need to figure out which skills to keep and tweak and which to toss and replace.  Guess we'll get a feel for that once we've played some more.

The one element per class for skills idea needs some scrutiny. The elements have such different characteristics, I fear it will impact the balance, and just make artificial restrictions when creating new skills and classes. It might mean a good deal of rework for the existing classes, but it's better to get it right from the start and be spared having to do it down the road.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 12:47:20 PM by Wolven »

Offline Slacker

• Code Monkey
  • Developer
  • Common
  • Talk to me, baby.
    • status work
    • View Profile
    • Slacker's Dive
  • Mood: mood cool
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 02:22:55 PM »
If you want to create additional classes, the Elements idea is going to have to be adjusted. I would love to see a summoner class and a melee/dodge class. A heavy cannon-user would be cool. Just some ideas.
I think the Spellblade should have some sword skills, and some weapon enchantments, like we spoke about before. Perhaps staff+sword/wand or sword/shield+wand/sword. Stormborn needs an immobilize, perhaps instead of the stun he has. I think the Hexhunter and Nightshade are fine, aside from some balance concerns and what I noted above.
What does each class's Charge do exactly? I think Charge and the speed of fights should be considered and dealt with as one.
Interrupt/silence would be great. Perhaps these can also be class-specific, ala the "Unique Defensive Skills" I wrote about above?

Offline Wolven

• Operator
  • Unique
    • status mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 02:42:09 PM »
I very much want additional classes. I'd love to see the mod have 12-15 to classes choose from. Heavy cannon and/or minigunner is one of the classes I'd like to see included too. In my mind there's a whole list classes I want to create for this mod.

Yes, swords on the Spellblade, that was the idea initially. The Spellblade should have melee weapons (swords) but, it got lost during the class creation process, I think it's a good idea to try and bring that back to the class.

The charge passives are as follows:

Hexhunter: Armor Bonus, Speed and Attack Speed.

Nightshade: Armor Bonus, Immobilize Resistance, Slow Resistance.

Spellblade: Speed, Reduce Damage Taken (All) and Slow Resistance.

Stormborn: Dodge Chance Bonus, Speed, Reduce Damage Taken (Magical)

In addition: The general passive skills for all the classes needs some debating too I guess.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 06:28:40 PM by Wolven »

Offline Wolven

• Operator
  • Unique
    • status mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 01:09:58 PM »
Weaponry
Melee
Single-handed: 200 dps
Two-handed: 300dps
Ranged
Single-handed: 160dps
Two-handed: 210dps

Should there be no difference between the different weapon types? (Swords, Axes, Hammers, Etc.) I can agree on having the damage they give flat, but I think there should be some variations to the damage they give. There are also other modifiers to consider, such as Range and Strike Range. Speed, Secondary Damage and some other bits I don't quite understand fully yet.

So we need to break this up and find out what the numbers should be for each weapon type. The easiest and fastest way to do this is just to change the damage to flat numbers and then leave the rest as is. But  I still think the damage should vary among the weapon types.

Tags:

* Quick Search

* Member Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Mod Boards Activity

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 3
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Calendar

January 2020
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18