News: Go to the front page portal to create a Torchmodders account | Visit the wiki!
November 15, 2018, 06:48:50 AM
collapse

Information

Please contribute to our

Having problems logging in to the forums? Go the front page, log out and back in again.

Author Topic: Looking for Modder to Collaborate on Character Design  (Read 774 times)

Offline Exqzr

• Common
    • View Profile
Looking for Modder to Collaborate on Character Design
« on: October 15, 2018, 11:10:48 PM »
I would like to first thank all of the modders for their great work.

I recently started playing Torchlight again and have appreciated a large number of the mods, especially the new playable characters.

I had a character(s) design idea but my skills in modding would be exactly zero.  Wondering if I did the lore, skill design and most of the playtesting, if anyone would do the much harder part of coding it.  I know this is a labour of love for most of you but I would be willing to make the first donation for your work.  The credit and ownership would be yours as well.

The idea centres around core archetypes with specializations.  Each specialization would be very thematic and relevant to Torchlight Lore (or at least implied lore).

For example, if one archetype was Warrior.  This would specialize into Janissary, Sturmbeorn or Regent (to name a few possible).  At level 1 the Warrior has full access to 1 tab of 7 active and 3 passive skills, these would be generic warrior type skills.  Then, at level 20 (TBD) the player can activate one of the specialty trees displayed in tabs 2 through 4.   Another 10 skills are then opened.  Once a specialty is selected, the other 2 are not available.

The 5th and final tab is how the speciality is selected.  Choosing a specialty will give immediate and direct benefits relevant to the specialty and if possible, maybe even alter and buff the initial Warrior skills that were chosen. 

Another archtype might be the Mage with specializations of Runemaster, Wazir, al.  Another might be Priest with specialties such as Redeemer, Channeler, Bishop.

Up for discussion is this creation method only unlocks 21 skills for the player.  Possibly 23 by adding two more on the 5th tab for each specialty.  Personally I believe this is more than enough, especially if the specilization skills are very *satisfying* and synergistic.  I see each specialization having its own ultimate, skills that intuitively work together and hopefully bring a real sense of uniqueness, not all the same skills with different names (there is only so much variety).

A side benefit that I potentially see is other modders could do character PACKS, using the archetype foundation and only have to group 10 skills instead of 30 by doing a specialization instead of an entire character.  i believe I could provide up to 21 character packs based on 7 archtypes.  Obviously that is a huge project, for now, I am happy with just 1 archtype and 3 specializations.

For myself I would very much like to play the aforementioned Sturmbeorn Class.  Its a Tank class with Lightning skills.  Hurricane, lightning claws, an attack buffed by max health and so on. 

Not sure if its possible, but once the specialization was chosen, it would be very cool if the character on the character selection load in screen actually changed from Warrior to Sturmbeorn.

If this sounds interesting, I would be happy to go into more detail.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 01:26:10 AM by Exqzr »

Offline Phanjam

• Operator
  • Legendary
    • status ready
    • View Profile
  • Mood: mood angel
Re: Looking for Modder to Collaborate on Character Design
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2018, 05:21:36 AM »
Hi @Exqzr ! First i'd like to welcome you to torchmodders ;)

What i wanted to reply with may not help get your mod concept off the ground immediately, but maybe "scratch the itch" you might have for a class that evolves around "disciplines". 

Give the Classless Character mod a whirl and see if that does it for you.  If you want to build upon that mod, expand it, etc. and you can get 1 or more modders to help with that, then I can release the mod files for an effort like that ;)  You can also go through the dev threads if you like.

Offline Exqzr

• Common
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2018, 10:09:59 AM »
Hello @Phanjam,

Thank you for the welcome. 

I have looked at the Classless character mod and I have to say it looks fantastic.  At with most of the mods I am somwehat blown away by the skills displayed by the modders.  You guys have my full respect :)  I have not tried it yet for a few reasons.  I am working on half the classes in Variant especially Assassin, Wildling, Bladedancer, and Druid - all in Hardcore.  I am working these classes to their full abilities, trying every skill, seeing what works, what doesnt and what concepts the modders brought forth that make their class build shine. 

At the outset I  believe my idea and this mod provide essentially the same feel.  At the end they become quite different. 

That said...

The classless character mod seems to be an almost ideal foundation for the specialization trees concept.  I beleive the initial benefits of the classless character mod followed by a specializtion player choice would be my personal favourite way to play,

Taking the Fighter Tree up to a certain point and then getting to a special group of skills only the Sturmbeorn or Jannisary could access et. al. , Would really make the game sing for me.  Starting out Generic but ending up Focused, is best concept for character growth and playstyle with some game lore and role playing thrown in to spice it all up. 

For me, i would struggle a bit to play a *fighter* to max level. Its flexibility is in some ways the benefit and the issue at the same time.  But playing a fighter to level 20 or 30 and then morphing to his final class choice motivates me to go deep into that said characters playing time.

Obviously this is in no way an original idea.  It is done quite well in many games I have played.  Dragon Age for example.  I just have never seen it in an ARPG and would very much like to.

Offline steffire3

• Mod_Seeker, Balance_Researcher, Person_Listener.
  • Rare
  • I am more active on the Steam Workshop Discussions
    • status busy
    • View Profile
  • Mood: mood smiley
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2018, 09:28:22 AM »
@Exqzr : Welcome to the Forums!  :)

Your requested project is very large. You have my respect for forming the plan and guiding it to this point.

If it succeeds then it will be the kind of mod that the "Monster Hero Class Pack" was aiming for and comparable to the work effort found in TL1CP.

I have little to offer in raw modding (my current weak point) however I have a different kind of gift I can Link here for inspiration that may help expand your plan.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/200710/discussions/0/133255603285071449/
At this point after playing Torchlight 2 for 4 years original and modded... ignorant of mods and now wise with compatibility... the one thing I value the most-

-is being able to have "support" from the author of any mod.

I think the only advice I can give is that you don't burn yourself out. ^_^

Offline Exqzr

• Common
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2018, 08:15:56 AM »
@steffire3

Thank you for the input.   I have considered the best approach here and I think it can work as an extension of the classless character mod.  The CC mod already has a great foundation for additions

The idea being to stay generic and flexible or veer off into a specialization - offering even more choices for the player.

5 Archetypes as available in the CC mod is plenty to work with.  Having a stand alone mod built from scratch seems too ambitious. 

So, I plan to play around with the classless character mod upon my return home and see if its a possibility to essentially enhance and compliment this already great mod.  Ill then post any ideas that arise from the playtesting.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 08:20:15 AM by Exqzr »

Tags:

* Quick Search

* Member Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Mod Boards Activity

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 14
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Calendar

November 2018
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

* Recent Topics

Equipping Weapon *Visual* to Pet? by Phanjam
[November 13, 2018, 01:39:16 PM]

Skills Expansion: Bugs Report & Ideas by Sch123
[November 13, 2018, 09:10:36 AM]

Hello! by Phanjam
[November 10, 2018, 03:57:42 AM]

(Solved)Help Editing Vanilla Class (adding / taking out other vanilla Skills) by Lrv
[November 07, 2018, 05:05:55 PM]

[TL2] Ultimate Respec Lite by doudley
[November 04, 2018, 08:17:27 AM]

Torchlight Frontiers announced by Kva3imoda
[November 03, 2018, 11:10:58 PM]

Fate Items by Phanjam
[November 03, 2018, 11:10:17 PM]

FEP+ by Sch123
[November 02, 2018, 09:03:12 AM]

Pet Variants Mod by Sch123
[November 01, 2018, 03:28:30 AM]

Skills on weapons by Sch123