News: Go to the front page portal to create a Torchmodders account | Visit the wiki!
August 24, 2019, 08:20:15 PM
collapse

Information

Please contribute to our

Having problems logging in to the forums? Go the front page, log out and back in again.

Author Topic: Boss Pets. TL1 Mod by Nyriox  (Read 1644 times)

Offline Phanjam

• Operator
  • Legendary
    • status ready
    • View Profile
  • Mood: mood angel
Boss Pets. TL1 Mod by Nyriox
« on: March 02, 2017, 03:41:54 PM »
Hi @Lord Nyriox  . Thanks for sharing your Boss Pets mod.  I have a custom charactercreate.layout file in place already for some custom class mods and I couldn't remember how to edit it to insert more pets (it's been a while since I've modded TL1 :P ), so I made some fish instead; hope you don't mind.

I noticed the .MATERIAL files don't point to all your new "glow map" images, so they may not be rendering as you intended.  Other than that it worked really well and it's a fun mod!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 01:18:08 AM by Phanjam »

Offline Lord Nyriox

• Developer
  • Rare
    • status bored
    • View Profile
    • Github Profile
  • Mood: mood evil
Re: Boss Pets. TL1 Mod by Nyriox
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 04:49:04 PM »
I would point out that half the work of BossPets was to REMOVE the fish dependency from the overpowered pets. 

I made them replace the default Dog (Helljackal), Cat (Dragonkin Overlord), and Ferret (Queen Hatshepsut) base files. 

The charactercreate.layout file was copied from the Vindicator class mod, then tweaked to revert the reference to the "Lightning Demon" (which I deleted from my mod-list anyway), back to "Ferret".  The only other change was to make the "display names" match their new, overpowered forms. 

So long as your charactercreate.layout file includes the Dog, Cat, and Ferret, you should have no problem using this mod without it. 

Also, link for version 0.8g: 
https://mega.nz/#!fJ9yQbxB!WRmnfysYJXl4hv3xnbgSOdXPcYJJF0GbS8uImAJ0dzA 

Nyriox 

« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 05:05:15 PM by Lord Nyriox »

Offline Lord Nyriox

• Developer
  • Rare
    • status bored
    • View Profile
    • Github Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 04:59:05 PM »
Regarding the .material files:  Actually I did update them for the two pets that included them (I'm not sure how to copy a preexisting mesh and have the game reference it separately). 

Both the Helljackal and Queen Hatshepsut contained their own mesh data, so I simply updated the .material files for those.  (I used the Vindicator assassin-helm .material file to help me figure out how.) 

On the other hand, since I can't use blender or anything similar, I'm not at all certain how to do the same thing for the Dragonkin Overlord (which uses the "Dragonkin" mesh, by the way). 

Thanks again,
Lord Nyriox 

« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 05:49:15 PM by Lord Nyriox »

Offline Phanjam

• Operator
  • Legendary
    • status ready
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2017, 03:42:08 AM »
Regarding the .material files:  Actually I did update them for the two pets that included them (I'm not sure how to copy a preexisting mesh and have the game reference it separately). 

Both the Helljackal and Queen Hatshepsut contained their own mesh data, so I simply updated the .material files for those.  (I used the Vindicator assassin-helm .material file to help me figure out how.) 

On the other hand, since I can't use blender or anything similar, I'm not at all certain how to do the same thing for the Dragonkin Overlord (which uses the "Dragonkin" mesh, by the way). 

Hi Nyriox. In the case of the Dragonkin, you can literally just make a copy of the entire DRAGONSPAWN model folder (from the MEDIA/MODELS/DRAGONSPAWN folder) and give it its own foldername inside your mod folder structure.  Since the <STRING>RESOURCEDIRECTORY: line in your unit's .DAT file is path-specific, the game won't get confused even if you don't change any of the filenames.  You can then add maps and edit the .MATERIAL file in that folder as you need.

Spoiler
Alternatively you could make copies of only the .MESH, .MATERIAL and .ANIMATION files of the model you want to use and rename these to something unique to your mod (but the same for all three files) and put it in the same folder-path as the original model folder along with any new glow-maps you want to use.  You can now edit the new .MATERIAL as you need.  In the unit's .DAT file, leave the <STRING>RESOURCEDIRECTORY: line pointing to the original folder, but change the <STRING>MESHFILE: line to specify your renamed .MESH file (without the extension).

Offline Phanjam

• Operator
  • Legendary
    • status ready
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2017, 03:50:44 AM »
Actually, what I really want to do with the Dragonkin Overlord is backport the "Ghost Dragon" model from TL2, make it non-ghostly, and then use it as the base model for the pet. 

Since one of the pets included was modified from one of your TL2 backports, Phanjam, do you have any advice on how I could do such a thing (without installing TL2 or GUTS)?
The backport your referring to is the Jackal?  Yes, handling the TL2 ghost dragon model the same way as the Jackal would get it into TL1 just fine (feel free to reverse-engineer that mod ;) ).  Since you don't have GUTS I'd need to give you the model files for that - will send you a link to a DL...

Offline Phanjam

• Operator
  • Legendary
    • status ready
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2017, 05:06:06 PM »
Hi Nyriox! Well it could be some niggling little detail in the code doing that, and it could be other stuff Vyrax needs to run that you haven't transferred over yet.

Did you take the entire contents from Vyrax's MEDIA\MODELS folder and put that in your mod? He will need all those files to run properly.  What directory path does it have?

I just checked Vyrax's TL2 .DAT and he has 9 skills. You might wanna try building him in TL1 without any of these skills first, just to isolate if the crashes are being caused by those skills looking for stuff they can't find.

Offline Lord Nyriox

• Developer
  • Rare
    • status bored
    • View Profile
    • Github Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2017, 10:03:43 PM »
Since I am having literally zero luck getting the Vyrax model to load in TL1, I figured I'd share the skins I had been working on in the hope that a usable dragon pet could be created. 

[LINK REMOVED] 

In short, the default Vyrax skin gave the impression of an ancient, deadly beast.  Since I was trying to make a pet, I tried to clean up the image to give a "pampered pet", rather than "ancient monster", impression.  The 9-pixel eye was expanded to fill more of the socket (and given a proper pupil), while the wings had their scars patched up to look well cared for.

I have 4 or so color variations of the default skin (RED, DARK, MID, DEFAULT), in two types:  "normal" and "armored".  "Armored" skins simply have one of the spine ridges copy-pasted along the seams of the upper side of the wings (the experiment had a surprisingly smooth effect), and are denoted by an "A" at the end of their filenames. 

Since the color-balancing was done by hand, and I didn't take notes during the process, the colors for the "armored" versions of their equivalent skins are somewhat different (I created them all at different times).  I hope that's okay. 

I also (of course) included a glowmap for both the default Vyrax skin (just the eye), and the pet skins (eyes, tongue, and roof of mouth).  No skin pack would be complete without them. 

Let me know what you think!
- Lord Nyriox,
Necromancer of Torchlight

« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 06:53:48 AM by Lord Nyriox »

Offline Phanjam

• Operator
  • Legendary
    • status ready
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2017, 02:08:58 PM »
I was able to bring Vyrax in as a monster...

Spoiler

<FLOAT>SCALE:0.5

but also couldn't get him into the game as a pet :(

But we now know it's not the model files that are messing up!  I'll dig a little more into this tomorrow...

Tags:

* Quick Search

* Member Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Mod Boards Activity

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 6
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Calendar

August 2019
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17